In the present world, education plays a part and parcel role in the efficient functioning of an economy. India being a country which is bogged down by various maladies, education turns out to be the medicine for putting a halt to such maladies. Keeping in view the same, the Shiromani Akali Dal – BJP led state government is creating the path which leads the masses from darkness to light, with the help of benignant Ashirwad scholarship schemes for the people of Punjab.
The Shiromani Akali Dal – BJP led, government of Punjab has initiated various scholarship schemes for the development of the society, which includes schemes for the students as well as the institutions. There are two apex schemes for institutions such as –
1. Construction of hostel for Other Backward Class (OBC) boys and girls – The Construction of hostel for OBC boys and girls, is a centrally sponsored scheme with the motive of cost sharing between the state and central government in 50:50 ratio with 100% funding to Union Territories and Central Government Institutions.
2. Babu Jagjivan Ram Chhatravas Yojana – The Babu Jagjivan Ram Chhatravas Yojana, has been successful in catering to the accommodation needs of the students belonging to scheduled castes. The scheme looks after the provision of expansion of the pertaining hostel buildings.
In contrast to the schemes for the institutions, various scholarship schemes have been initiated by the state government for the economically weaker sections, such as –
- Post matric scholarship scheme for the Scheduled caste students.
- Post matric scholarship scheme for the Other Backward Class students.
- Full financial support to Scheduled Caste students pursuing top class education beyond class 12th.
- University Grants commission’s Central Sector Scheme of ‘Rajiv Gandhi National Fellowship’ which provided Scholarships to the Scheduled Caste students for pursuing programmes in Higher Education such as M.Phil., Ph.D. etc.
- Post Matric scholarship scheme for the meritorious students belonging to economically weaker sections of some minority community.
- Scheme of National Scholarship for the students who have at least 40% disabilities. They are given scholarship for pursuing post matric /post – secondary technical and professional courses which also include Ph.D. and M.Phil. from recognized institutions.
Numbers sourced that the Shiromani Akali Dal – BJP led state government, disbursed approximately Rs 200 crore amongst more than 3.14 lakh students in the years 2007-2015, under post matric scholarships scheme which are being given to the students belonging to minority communities. An official spokesman of the Welfare department, government of Punjab said that, the scholarship will be awarded to those students who have secured not less than 50 per cent marks and the annual income of whose parents/guardian from all sources does not exceed Rs 2 lakh. 30 percent of the scholarships are allocated for the girl students.
Needless to say, the government of Punjab is radical in its approach, to provide scholarship to the students belonging to economically weaker sections. A positive contribution to the social good is made by the government, which has helped in transforming Punjab from ignorance to knowledge.